Serving Montana Agriculture and growing prosperity under the Big Sky

Questions and Answers


Yes, to list your hemp on the marketplace you need to have been a licensed hemp grower with the state of Montana in the year your hemp was grown.

There are four ways to get your listing on the Hemp Marketplace:
  1. Enter your listing online (click here to get started) .
  2. Call (406) 558-9880.
  3. E-mail your information to
  4. Fax your information to (406) 444-9493
Select the "I'm looking for Hemp... option on the Hemp Marketplace page, then use the different search filters to find listings that suit your needs. Once you've found a hemp source you believe may work for you, contact that producer directly using the contact information provided in each listing.
No, the service is entirely free of charge.


No, applicants are not required to be residents of Montana.
For outdoor producers applications must be submitted by May 30, 2022. Indoor produces have no deadline.

All applicants must submit an FBI Identity History Summary upon initial application so that the department may determine eligibility. Hemp program participation requires no prior convictions of felony drug charges in the previous 10 years.

An FBI Identity History Summary (IdHS) must be submitted for all individual applicants and, if the application is for a business entity, for each key participant.

Hemp Seed

Seed can be purchased from any seed company.  However, the department recommends that buyers do their research to ensure they are purchasing high quality and compliant varieties. To see the current list of hemp seed providers licensed to distribute into Montana click here. This is not an endorsement, recommendation or guarantee of the company’s seed in regard to germination, purity, or THC levels.

Yes, all entities that sell agricultural seed in Montana are required to follow the requirements of the Montana Seed Act. At a minimum, hemp seed sellers must have a Montana Seed Labeler license. More information about the seed program and licensing requirements are available on the Montana Department of Agriculture's Seed Program web page at:
Yes, licensees can plant any seed reasonably believed to produce hemp. Seed varieties not previously grown in Montana or ASOCA/OECD certified are considered category C varieties and are grown at the licensee’s own risk. All category C varieties are required to be tested for Total THC three weeks prior to harvest.

The Montana Department of Agriculture does not regulate the production or sale of food, drugs, health supplements, or cosmetics. Hulled hemp seeds, hemp seed protein, and hemp seed oil have been granted Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) status by the FDA and are widely available in products at retail stores across Montana. A recent FDA statement, from December 20, 2018, on Cannabis products can be found here: